We take a holistic approach to training. Several different facets of your dog’s life need to come together to be able to offer your pet a safe and happy life. Our F.E.T.C.H principles of Food, Exercise, Training, Consistency and Health are an easy way to remember the best way to do it:
- Food – feed the best food you can afford. Whether you feed dry or raw, always buy the best quality to give the best joints, skin, coat and digestion and avoid artificial colours, additives and preservatives that can create hyperactivity and other problems.
- Exercise – give regular and appropriate exercise, taking into account that the food energy level needs to match and allow for your pet getting a little older. Think about new experiences and new dog friends. Get together with other walkers and arrange meet ups.
- Training – it never really stops, you are always training your dog. Use classes no matter how many dogs you have had. The lack of early socialisation causes many serious dog problems later on. Don’t be too proud to ask for help, remember, a well trained dog gets a much fuller life.
- Consistency – you have to be consistent, especially when training something new. Don’t allow family members to all have different rules and if you say something, follow through and give lots of praise. Anything less is confusing for dogs and owners claim their dog is being naughty when it doesn’t understand or often gets away with bad behaviour.
- Health – All of the above help to create a healthy dog, sound in mind and body. Good food, regular, sensible exercise, training and security make a happy dog. Add to this regular flea and worming treatments, vet check ups, vaccinations and microchipping and your dog is getting the best possible chance to live a long and happy life.
Our thanks to the Pet Education Trust who we will soon be working with on a FETCH project for dog owners.